WELCOME to your online
guide of professional development opportunities at the University
of South Carolina.
The mission of Professional Development is to lead and support
the development of knowledgeable, skillful, and productive University
employees through lifelong learning.
The University's professional development programs are designed
to improve individual and organizational performance and help USC
achieve overall institutional goals. Training programs have been
carefully developed to help employees increase their effectiveness
by building and refining job skills and by gaining greater knowledge
of USC operations. Developmental programs prepare personnel for
increased or new responsibilities and broaden individuals as a whole.
USC professional development programs:
- Help employees adjust to new work situations more easily and
create a greater sense of community through a systematic orientation
- Provide knowledge of the appropriate application of operating
procedures so employees are able to function more quickly and
efficiently in various University departments.
- Encourage employees to hone skills by providing instruction
and practice in work-related areas such as leadership, teambuilding,
writing, or computing.
- Improve interpersonal skills through human relations training
and increase productivity by improving communications between
managers and employees.
- Foster good employee relations and reduce turnover by sponsoring
programs that lead to greater job satisfaction and promotional
- Provide information about University policies and procedures.
- Enhance the quality of work life for USC employees.